Carving on wood in photoshop
In this tutorial you will see how you can curve some words on a wooden surface by the means of Adobe Photoshop.
1. Let's find a wooden surface.
2. Go to Image > Duplicate
3. Then do Image>Adjustment>Levels.
4. Put value 1.1 into the second box and press OK
5. Select all by pressing Ctrl+A.
6. Then go to Edit>Define Pattern
7. Deselect by pressing Ctrl+D
8. Create a new layer for the text.
9. Now we can work with the inscription. It can be a logo or a picture. Or you can just write the text you want with a brush (as I did) or using Text tool.
10. Staying in this layer go to Layers>layer style where we will define a number of styles for the inscription.
Bevel and Emboss
The result should look like this:
11. Now let's make some final touches. Take a 1px eraser and make strokes along the wood lines and cracks. Here's the final image:
12. You can use the layer style you created for the inscription on any new layer, in case you want to write something else on the same wooden surface. Just copy layer style staying on the layer with "Jack was here" inscription and paste Layer style into the layer with another piece of text.
13. And what is more, you can use the same technique for writing on stone: