If you are reading this post than you are interested in creating at least one website. We have discussed the topic of creating websites not once in this blog, it is after all a blog for designers and developers. The most recent and the most informative guide we had on creating a website from scratch is this one. If you read the post, you know it is not a matter of a few hours or even a few days. It is a lot of work and learning, and it takes a lot of time to build one website from scratch.
If learning HTML is not something you want to do, you need something simpler and less time consuming. Here is where the various website builders come in. The blogging platforms like Livejournal or Blogger may seem like an obvious solution here. And while it is very easy to set up a personal blog with one of these (and many similar ones) platforms it is not a way to create a business website.
Another solution is to go with an open source CMSes like Joomla, Drupal and WordPress. These are better for business, but still are not that easy when it comes to actually creating a functioning website. You'll need to get a domain name and set up hosting for these ones and actually get a design for them. All of these steps are time consuming, require technical knowledge and can be quite scary.
So is there something in between? There actually is. The drag-and-drop website builders are the tool you need if you want an easy-to-create and ready-to-use website in a few simple steps with no additional hassles like hosting. The best one of these website builders is definitely Wix.
1. Go to the Wix website.
2. Click the "Start Now" button.3. Fill in the sign-up form.
1. Immediately after sign up you are offered to choose a category for your website. This is initially done to help Wix select templates for you, but you can change your selection later on or even choose to see all templates from the start.
Now, I am going to create a website for a cafe, so I'm choosing the Restaurant & Hospitality category. You, of course, can choose whatever category suits your website's purpose.
2. So I choose the Restaurant & Hospitality category, Cafe & Restaurant subcategory and click on the big "Go" button.
3. We are taken to the Restaurant & Hospitality templates selection. There are dozens of them available for free. I'm going to choose something nice and cosy that will fit a small cafe. Like this one:After you've chosen your template, click the "Edit" button.
1. You can add new pages and delete the default ones, you can change the order of the pages and rename them. To rearrange the order of the pages simply drag and drop them. You can also create subpages.2. Once you made sure the pages are what you want them to be, you can actually customize the pages themselves. Change pictures, add your content, change text etc. 3. This is not an actual step but I think I need to emphasise this, so I named it a step. Every now and then Wix will ask you to save your work. Do that!
We now have seen the main features of Wix and I'm sure - by now you are confident with the editor and can freely customize the elements and add content to your website. Once the content is added the website needs to go live.1. Publishing a Wix website is nice and easy. You just need to click the "Publish" button.
2. You will need to name your website here. I recommend to get an actual unique domain name, to do that you'll need to upgrade to a premium package.
3. You should not forget about SEO and mobile optimization. You can find these settings at the left sidebar.
Well, now you've got it! Your own Wix website up and running. Update it regularly, don't forget to promote via social networks and make sure your contacts are up to date so people can actually reach you.Do share your Wix websites in the comments below!
Copyright © . All Rights Reserved