1. Create new document, size 600 x 400 px, check Show Grid , Smart Guide and Snap to Grid item on View menu. When Snap to Grid item is checked, Smart Guide cant work, u must choose one...use it smartly :)
2. Draw 5 and fill color like this
3. Draw 1 elliptical shape, copy it, fill #ED2324 color, use Pen draw the path like this, then hold Alt and click to the Divide icon on Pathfinder palette, then Ungroup.
4. Fill color
5. Hit Ctrl + F ( Paste in Front ), create a stroke 3 px for this shape. Then go to Object >> Path >> Outline Stroke, ungroup and delete fill color obj
6. Do the same last step, u have
7. Use Pen tool create a highlight on his head (place this object under Stroke Object)
8. Cautions : always Outline Stroke to make a stroke obj for all obj you draw. Use Pen draw a path cross his face like this, copy the face obj.
9. Fill color
10. Use Pen draw hair like this, Hit Ctrl + F to paste face obj you copy before.
11. Select hair and face obj, hold Alt and click Intersect icon on Pathfinder palette, continue use pen to create shadow of hair. Remember stroke :)
12. Draw his eyes
13. Draw his mouth, he is wearing a chiken spout, that so lovely ^^
14. Draw cheeks :)
15. And his hat :) so cute !!!
Draw new shapes
Result ... that chicken hat :)
16. Hand !!!
17. Body !!!
18. Leg !!!
19. Draw wings
20. Draw clouds in background
Adding some details, we have
Click to enlarge